Getting your Picasa DB back after a reinstall
There's a few folders I copy/backup by default before reinstalling a system or installing a new system to get things back the way I want it - Firefox and Thunderbird profiles, Miranda IM database and now Picasa's database.
I couldn't find this easily using Google so I hope to help out with this simple task.
Before (re)install on old system:
1. Copy/backup the c:/documents and settings//local settings/application data/Picasa2 folder
After (re)install on new system:
2. Install Picasa (yes it's Picasa 3 atm but it still creates a Picasa 2 folder)
3. Start Picasa and let it scan as little as possible (you don't have to wait for it to finish scanning), turn Picasa off
4. Go to c:/documents and settings//local settings/application data/ and rename Picasa2 to something like Picasa2_newinstall
5. Copy the old Picasa2 folder to c:/documents and settings//local settings/application data/
6. Start Picasa
And voila, all your old pic data is restored.
One additional tip: Ever since Picasa crashed on me and lost all the album data shortly after I first installed Picasa, I learned the best way to be able to search for your photos is using keywords (Ctrl+k to add) since this info is stored in the image data and not in the picasa database alone, so even if you do a clean Picasa install and just let it reindex your photos, the info is still there, and you can use these keywords in other software as well.